It’s time to take a walk with a difference!
Discover and experience the beauty of the world renowned De Hoop Nature Reserve on foot with the De Hoop Camino… this blend of beach walks, sea life, fynbos and wonderment is for those seeking solace in nature. Five days and four nights of guided and unguided walking in the pristine environment of the De Hoop Nature Reserve exploring the reserve’s rich marine, plant and wildlife, with comfortable, off-the-grid accommodation at two premier properties situated within the reserve – Lekkerwater Beach Lodge and De Hoop Collection.
Two properties – two amazing experiences – and so much more in-between… this is where you can follow spectacular nature trails along the scenic footpaths, secluded beaches, secret coves and rugged fynbos covered coastline of the Reserve… uncover an unspoilt, untouched reserve filled with a treasure trove of fauna, flora, fynbos, beaches and abundant sea life…indulge in the peace and tranquillity, the wide-open spaces and the stunning sea views… and savourbarefoot beach walks, incredible sunsets and the smell of the ocean.
Just three hours from Cape Town, this pristine World Heritage Nature Reserve – an ideal destination for hikers, walkers, cyclists and families and a stop-over en route from the Cape Winelands to Plettenberg Bay – offers a unique outdoor experience like no other – the sea, deserted beaches, a Ramsar listed vlei, wide open spaces, coastal fynbos, diverse animal and bird life, including the endangered Cape Vulture, and the very best whale watching.
The De Hoop Camino Luxury Coastal Trail – a 5 day/4 night guided and unguided walk in the De Hoop Nature Reserve exploring the reserve’s rich diversity includes:
- Day 1 & 2: guided and unguided marine and nature walks around Lekkerwater Beach Lodge – the Reserve extends along the southern coast of the Western Cape and Lekkerwater – situated approximately half way along the reserve, offers an off-the-grid coastal escape surrounded by the endemic fynbos, inter-tidal ecosystems and remarkable mammal and birdlife.
- Day 1 – an optional 6km walk from the Lekkerwater Lodge parking area, along the road and through the fynbos
- Day 2 – enjoy the guided marine and nature walks or take a self-guided walk or simply soak up the breathtaking views
- Day 3: a full day self-guided six to nine-hour long coastal walk from Lekkerwater Beach Lodge to the end of the Whale Trail at Koppie Alleen at De Hoop Collection. You’ll walk the most breathtaking section of the remarkable Whale Trail – 15km of endless Indian Ocean views, surrounding hills, gorges, caves and ravines in a landscape consisting of beautiful sandy beaches, limestone karst rock platforms, blow holes, natural swimming pools, caves and rocky cliffs. At the end of the trail you’ll be transferred to De Hoop Collection’s De Mond Villa (your accommodation for the next two nights). The rest of the day will be spent at leisure enjoying the views and birding along the shores of the De Hoop Vlei, followed by a delicious potjiekos dinner that will be enjoyed around the camp fire and under the stars.
- Day 4: exploring the western sector of the De Hoop Reserve… after an early morning breakfast, you’ll once again don your hiking boots for a 5km guided walk around the De Hoop Vlei exploring the rich birdlife and fynbos, followed by brunch at Melkkamer – a grand old homestead steeped in history that was built at the turn of the last century. After brunch, a boat transfer will take you across the vlei where the walk will continue for a further 7- 8 kms through a combination of cliff routes, along the edge of the Vlei and through some open areas where you may enjoy wildlife sightings. Dinner will be enjoyed around the campfire at De Mond Villa.
- Day 5 – after breakfast, you will be transferred to Tierhoek to start the morning’s guided trail – a 4km route up the fynbos paradise of Flatrock with panoramic views over the De Hoop Vlei. Your return transfer is by vehicle from the main entrance gate of the De Hoop Reserve to the Lekkerwater car park, enroute for a guided walk to the Potberg Vulture Colony – the only remaining active Cape Vulture Colony in the Western Cape.
The length of the day walks at both Lekkerwater and the De Hoop Collection will depend on the levels of fitness and enthusiasm which could push the total distance walked over the five days up to 45km-50km. This walk needs a minimum of four guests and small groups are highly recommended, and to get the maximum enjoyment of this experience guests need to be reasonably fit, active and agile.
The De Hoop Camino Package includes:
- Road transfer for you and/or your luggage from Lekkerwater carpark to the Lodge
- Two nights (Day 1 & 2) at Lekkerwater Beach Lodge, in one of seven rooms, each with a deck overlooking a 5km stretch of pristine beach
- Two nights (Day 3 & 4)at the De Hoop Collection – either at De Mond Villa (De Hoop Collection’s brand new De Mond Villa) Opstal Suites or Melkkamer Manor depending on availability)
- Luggage transfers from Lekkerwater to the De Hoop Collection
- Road transfers from Koppie Alleen to the De Hoop Collection and from the De Hoop Collection back to Lekkerwater carpark
- All meals and all local drinks and in-lodge activities
- Community and Reserve fee (R 550 per person per package) at Lekkerwater Beach Lodge
*Excludes – transfers by road to and from the De Hoop Nature Reserve; park entrance fee – R50 per person per night, to be paid in cash to CapeNature on arrival at the Reserve gate; fully comprehensive travel insurance; gratuities to the lodge staff and guides; premium drinks not on the “house” list.
Rates from R18 050 per person (depending on the season), are quoted in South African Rands and are applicable to Southern African residents only. Natural Selection Safaris’ Standard Terms and Conditions apply.
And what you can bring along, aside from a sense of fun and adventure, is a small backpack and water bottle, sunblock, swimming costume, sarong, a wide brimmed hat, binoculars and camera, comfortable closed walking shoes, as well as reef shoes (if you have a pair) and a small first aid kit.
De Hoop Reserve is a beautiful destination all year round. During summer (November-March) the days are perfect for coastal adventure. In April-May and September-October the fynbos comes to life, and sunsets are all about lazy evenings enjoyed with a glass of fine South African wine in hand. Winter (July – November) through to the start of summer, is when the Southern Right whales arrive, congregating offshore to calve, mate and cavort in the warm seas. This walk is without doubt a luxury walking adventure, no matter what time of the year you go.
To make your booking for the De Hoop Camino contact: Samantha Jooste, +27 21 422 4522, email@example.com